Monday, June 26, 2006

Apple of the Eye - II

Visually Impaired?

The 'Mall' culture is very much en-vogue in Chennai. It is an irony that they've become the most happening place in a city with wide variety of spots for out-door entertainment like beach, theatres, temples and exhibitions. Yesterday, was my first visit to Citi Center(yeah, a li'l outdated, but for some reason, it didn't appeal to me as much as Spencer's or Lifestyle showroom did).

While I was there, I just realized that 'Lifestyle' is not only the name of a showroom but is a loud and clear statement by itself. It reflects the changing lifestyle of the people of Chennai - More so, related to the topic, 'lifestyle of parents and kids'!

I see more parents in 'mukkaal touser'(3/4ths?) and 'cut banian'(sleeveless t-shirts). Well, it suits the weather, so no complaints. While I was walking across the shop floor, with raised eyebrows looking at the price tags, designs and people looking at them, a loud sharp cry disturbed not just me, but, all the shoppers.

'Somebody help me!' yelled a 'mukka touser' lady. All eyes on her as she continued..

'I lost my kid, somebody help me, my daughter is missing - Aarthi..'

Before, the crowd could react or the situation could sink in, her husband came from somewhere, carrying a one-year old. The kid had a blank look, oblivious to the tension. She hadn't even realized that she got lost.

He said, 'Don't worry, I found her, she's here'.

After this, the lady reacted like Kamalhassan! a mixture of tears, smile and a growl.. and loudly enough, asks the one year old in Junoon Thamizh- 'Enga da pone nee?'

She has been so careless and engrossed in her shopping to miss a one-year old! And, to top that, asks the one-year old toddler, 'Where have you been?' !!! The crowd literally laughed at her.. and hope she realized it.

How did mothers of yesteryears manage with 8-10 kids in a kovil thiruvizha(temple festival)? I wonder!!

That was not it!

After a while, as I was walking, I saw a 50cms tall kid walking alone in front of me. I brushed her hair and heard a voice from behind,

'Is that your kid?'
(Err.. 'Not that I am aware of.. what made you think I'll own up with my parents around?' Thought me..)
But, said 'NO'
The lady then replied, 'I think she has lost her parents and is searching around'
!!!!
We walked behind her, a little worried. Then the lady stopped her to check if she needed help.

That was it. That was the cue for the kid to get scared and cry! All this while, she was searching for her parents, panicking, but not showing it out. The moment a stranger stopped her, she started yelling. The lady who stopped her, looked rather embarrassed and nervous. She didn't know what to do. I saw myself, backing up a little, just to indicate, 'I didn't do this'.

In about 2 mins, her parents (surprisingly another mukka touser mother) found her...

Now, am not against mukka touser, but wondering if it's got anything to do with losing a kid, missing the apple of the eye(topic has to be related). My saree clad mother, never lost me?!

16 comments:

kaushik said...

mukka trouser!!!! thats really funny....
though it is called 3/4th's.....the tamlish version is funny....

say what....some 10 yrs down the line, hindi film stories will be about brothers lost in the mall ( and thus replacing the good old kumbh mela and kovil thiruvizaa stories!!!)

Anonymous said...

Kozhandhainga paavam! Or is it good for them if they get lost from such careless parents? What the hell is important in world rather than taking care of a kid. My heart goes out for such kids, and feel like slapping the parents. Stupids!

Anonymous said...

When I read your post, all that i could think of is: "Technology & Tradition" has become oxymorons! Though losing the kid has nothing to do with the latest technology boom or the Indian culture, the latest boom has brought so much difference in the life style and attitude of lotsa people!

Ofcourse, we cannot be a pazhaya panchangam all the time... we gotta go with the wind and be open to positive changes! but welcoming good things doesnt have to nececssarily result in losing etiquettes!

One of my closest friend has a daughter in her teens. "Parenting" is the most important aspect of life for indian parents here [atleast people i know take it a big deal].

coming back to my friend's daughter, she wants to wear mukka trouser during summer. Doesn't want to wear jeans pant when it is so hot here. Her patti is at home who cannot stand that way of dressing. Even otherwise, her amma is a very orthodox person and wants to bring up her daughter in an Indian way. Not a single auspicious occasion goes by, without her daughter wearing "pattu pavadai" and singing couple of carnatic songs!

amma is like, tho paru-ma, namaku yelam endha life style othu varadhu. mukka trouser potukardhu , namala expose panikardhu edhu yelam thappu etc etc ... India-la this that etc etc - Mom goes on and on every time when she sees her daugher slipping away from the Indian traditions!

Then they go visit India the same summer! Now the daughter asks amma: Amma, you talk to me about Indian culture, tradition, indian people, way of living, being orthodox etc etc, but i see not only teenage gals wearing mukka trouser, short tops - but even mommies wear them. I see the same kind of dress being worn even to temple - why is that?

Now, how can this Indian mom answer her daughter?

Anonymous said...

Nice article.

Yadhvi said...

kaushik,
Don't be surprised if the movie come up next year itself... the fever is catching up sooo fast!

Yadhvi said...

ferrari,
exactly! how can one afford to take their eyes off their little one?

Yadhvi said...

Anon,
True..NRIs can never come back to the India they left behind.. Things are changing at jet speed..
Am perfectly fine with mommies wearing mukkal trouser, looking cool... i wouldn't mind wearing one if am in good shape.. but, all I say is, in our quest to adapt to the west, lets not foget our basics..
It would be nice if we change and adapt for the better.. come out of moulds that will not help us..

Oru thathuvam solluven... anubavikanum..aarayakoodaadhu.. 'A tree can definitely branch out.. It will be admired, but should never think, it can exist without the roots..' eppadi?

Yadhvi said...

badari,
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you... mukkal trouser is not the point! the point as you said is :

in our quest to adapt to the west, lets not foget our basics..

krishis said...

nalla post um panreenga ... nalla thathuvamum solreenga :-)

b a l a j i said...

neenga mukka trouser parents-ke ippadi feel panreenga...

aana nanganallur madhiri oru kugraamathula 'thaathakaL' kooda arai trouser pottukkittu attoozhiyam panraanga...

agree with u on parents becoming more and more careless and unmindful of their kid's safety nowadays... classic example is when u can see the parents walking along the corner of the road, while allowing their kids to wander and stray to the middle of the road...

my dad never let me walk on the road without holding his hand...

Krishna said...

>> the lady reacted like Kamalhassan

LOL! That was a good one :-)

Yadhvi said...

krishis,
Thanks! :-D

balaji,
LOL! kids ellam abroad le setlle ayitu ivanga visit pannitu vandhu irupaanga nu nenaikaren...
:-)) vadivel style le 'vaaliba vayasu!' nu sollaama irundhaa seri!!

krishna,
for some reason, I couldn't sympathise with her...kovam dhaan vandhudhu..

Mukund said...

you must appreciate that the parent may not have had opportunity to wear mukka touser in her younger days :)

Anonymous said...

blogsurya,
Please dont generalise. There are lots of clear minded indians. Not desis!!!

Yadhvi said...

blogsurya,
Well said about originality and being downtoearth!!

mukund,
:-) yeah! but again, that'z not what am against.. my point is first be a responsible mother and then a fashion diva..

ferrari,
clear minded Indians like yadhvi nu sethu irukalaam :-)